Friday, July 30, 2010

My Go-To Summer Salad

Just wanted to share with you one of our favorite meals this summer.  Here in Kamloops the summer norm is between 35-40C ....I believe 40C is the equivalent of 100F.  We don't have an air conditioner (sadface) so I've been doing my darndest to not touch my stove....bbq's and dinner salads...done and done.

On our road trip to Saskatchewan earlier this month we went out for dinner to Chili's with some extended family.  I split this Southwestern (that's not the word in the menu...it was something like that though) Salad with my Aunt and it was AAAAAMAZING! So I picked through it and made a mental note of the ingredients and this is my final outcome:

***PS: I make this straight on to our plates...it's way faster and less dishes to do! I'll try and guestimate quantities for one serving...but just add or subtract to your taste!

Lettuce....obviously
A handful of nacho chips, broken
1/4 cup    black beans
1/4 cup    frozen corn, thawed (or you could use canned)
1/4 cup    fresh salsa
***for the salsa, in a hand processer, I mix two tomatoes, 1/4 cup cilantro, 1/4 of a red onion, half a jalapeno. I keep this stuff on hand 'cause it is SOOO TASTY with chips.  You could also just chop everything up and throw it on top.
1/4 of an avocado, diced

Dressing
3 Tbsp  mayonnaise
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp  cumin
 Mix together and stream in  ohhhh maybe a quarter cup olive oil...maybe start with a couple Tbsp and work from there.  This should make enough for two or three salads.

Sometimes I get hubby to grill up some chicken to throw on top, if we have it on hand.....but you really don't need it 'cause you got beans!



This photo is before dressing and sans chicken but mmmmmmmmmmm mmmmm don't she look tasty!  The sweetness of the corn is the perfect compliment for the savory cilantro and the cumin in the dressing. You knooooooow you wanna try it!

No comments: